LIMITED PUBLIC ACCESS TO COUNTY ADMINISTRATION BUILDING AND COURTHOUSE effective Thursday, March 19, 2020. For more information, go to facebook below.
Click to view information on Barnwell County offices and services during limited public access.
Follow Barnwell County SC on Facebook for the latest updates. Facebook
Barnwell County Judicial Offices – Solicitor, Public Defender, Probation & Parole, and DJJ are located at 54 Irving Street, Barnwell SC 29812
Click to view video from WJBF on the new multi purpose arena.
Barnwell County Implementation of State Disbursement Unit for Support Payments
Barnwell County will officially implement the South Carolina State Disbursement Unit (SDU) effective February 4, 2019. After that date, support payments currently made by obligors to Barnwell County Clerk of Court should be made payable to the South Carolina State Disbursement Unit and mailed to:
South Carolina State Disbursement Unit
PO Box 100302
Columbia, SC 29202-3302
Employers and interstate child support agencies shall continue to make support payments to the Barnwell County Clerk of Court until directed to send those payments to the State Disbursement Unit in August 2019.
Support payors can find additional information about the State Disbursement Unit and other payments options at www.dss.sc.gov/child-support.
If you have questions about when or how to make payments to the State Disbursement Unit please contact State Disbursement Unit Customer Service Center at 800-768-5858. Agents are available M-F, 8:30am – 5:00pm excluding State holidays.
For Counties Offering Web and/or IVR Payment Options
Discontinued Clerk of Court Electronic Payment Options
Effective January 25, 2019, Barnwell County will discontinue options for making web and/or interactive voice response support payments via credit/debit card and automatic withdrawal (ACH debit). The State Disbursement Unit provides new options for making walk-in and online payments. Please see www.dss.sc.gov/child-support for additional details. This change ONLY affects support payments. Other types of county payments (for example, property taxes) can still be paid by credit card from the county’s website.
If you appeared before a judge due to failure to pay your child support and were ordered to pay a specific amount (sometimes referred to as a purge payment) to be in compliance with the judge’s ruling, you may come to the payment window in the Clerk’s of Court office and pay cash or use your credit/debit card to pay the ordered amount.
Link to DSS Website
Freedom of Information Act – Fees For Copies of Public Records
Fees (Section 30-4-30(B) & (C)):
- Requires each public body to establish a fee schedule which must be postedonline.
- Public body may establish and collect reasonable fees not to exceed the actual cost of searching, retrieval, and redaction of records. Fees are to be based on prorated hourly rate of the lowest paid employee of the public body who, in “reasonable” discretion of records custodian, has the skill and training necessary to respond to the request.
- Charge for copies cannot exceed the prevailing commercial rate for production of copies.
- Copy charges may not apply to records transmitted in electronic format; public body may charge for staff time used to convert documents to electronic format when documents not in electronic format, but agency agrees to produce them in electronic format.
- When a deposit is required, it may not exceed 25% of total anticipated costs, and the time to produce a record does not start until the deposit is received.
- Full amount/remainder of total cost must be paid at time of production.
For a copy of the resolution regarding FOIA Fees click here.
In Barnwell County we always strive to provide current information on county services that enhance your quality of life.
Please visit our Website regularly for updates on County Meetings, Property Tax Information and special events in Barnwell County.
If you find there is information missing from our site or if certain information is difficult to find, please contact us. Your comments and suggestions are important to the continued development of the county Web site.
Thank you for visiting the Barnwell County Web site!